Placing an Order
- The order process has three easy steps:
1. Choose your service(s)
2. Upload your product and ingredient Information
3. Complete your payment
After you submit your order to our secure server, you will immediately receive an Order Confirmation and a food technologist will review your product information to ensure that it is complete within 48 hours. If additional information is needed, we will notify you right away. Once the product file is complete, we will create your nutrition panels and other services within your selected turnaround time. Please know that a change in the formula or package specifications requires rework by Prime Label and additional charges will apply.
Choose Your Services
- Prime Label has three main service categories:
1. Label development (nutrition panels, ingredients statements, claims, product naming & label prototypes)
2. Label review (USDA and FDA Label Compliance Reports, USDA label approvals & appeals)
3. Regulatory Guidance (individual food regulatory consulting questions, Premium Access Retainer support)
Prime Label performs these services for manufacturers, brokers and private label brands. Whether via individual product submissions or label outsourcing for large brands, we tailor our services to meet your needs, large or small.
Upload your Product Information
- In order to create an accurate panel, we will need some key information about both your product and your ingredients. In addition to your product formula or nutrition analysis, we will need to know how the food is processed and how it is packaged to prepare a Nutrition Facts Label that is fully compliant with the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act. To provide this information:
1. Please complete either a Product Information Formula Worksheet or a Product Information 100 gram Analysis Worksheet
2. Gather ingredient specification sheets for all your purchased, multi-component ingredients
(100-gram nutritional information from your suppliers, with accurate allergen, added sugar and dietary fiber information)
3. Upload your worksheet and ingredient specifications to PLC's nutrition order form
Note that you can either combine all your product information into one large Worksheet file (with a separate worksheet tab for each product) or create separate excel files for each product. While we always need the Product Worksheet, to save you time, you may choose to upload your formula to the order form separately (instead of typing it into the Product Information worksheet). After you submit your order with the product worksheet, a regulatory specialist will let you know if additional information is needed and can answer any questions you may have.
- Standard Service is delivered 5 business days after your product file is complete. Rush service (subject to an additional fee) is delivered 2 business days after your product file is complete.
Nutrition Facts Panel Service (NFPs)
- Give us your recipe or your own 100 gram analysis, and we will create a compliant nutrition panel for your product. Prime Label's food technologists calculate your serving information and the nutrient content of your product, making sure that all units, rounding and daily values are compliant to FDA and USDA regulations. You will receive a graphic file to provide to your designer, along with an NFP report for your file.
New or Old NFP format?
- We can create either the new FDA revised 2016 format, or the old 1993 version, either of which can be used on food labels in the U.S. Note that the FDA has proposed Jan 1, 2020 as the new compliance date - which is the date all FDA food products will have to be labeled with the new version. The USDA will accept either version, but if you are putting the new format on your label, you will need to get one version of each panel type approved at the USDA's offices in Washington D.C. (don't worry, we can help you with that as well)!
New 2016 Nutrition Label Reform Rules
- PLC's food technologists will evaluate your 2016 NFP for new required dual column and complex added sugar/dietary fiber rules. Request a Nutrition Label Reform consultation, and our experts will walk you through the extra nutrient source documentation and formatting requirements dictated by the new regulations.
- Your Nutrition Facts panel will come with serving sizes, servings per container, calories, total fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, total carbohydrate, dietary fiber, total sugars, added sugars, protein, vitamin D, calcium, iron, and potassium calculated. Other nutrients are available (may be mandatory if claims or fortification is present) and can be added at an additional cost. Our proprietary EZ Form Nutrition Navigator software is the tool we use to create your nutrition panel. This software has been tested over 2 decades and contains the latest validated nutrient values from USDA Standard Reference. It is also the only tool that accurately determines serving information and tests for dual column triggers.
Additional NFP Services
- For an extra charge, PLC can provide additional package sizes and panel formats (for the same formula). We can also create multi-column "As Packaged/As Prepared" or multi--pack, aggregate panels. In addition, foreign languages are supported with bi-lingual, Spanish or French panels as well as Health Canada panels for CFIA. Canadian nutrition facts tables can either come in Canada's new or old format.
Ingredients and Allergen Statement
- Using your recipe formulation and ingredient specification sheets, we will prepare a consumer-friendly Ingredient and Allergen Statement that complies with FDA & USDA regulations. You will receive both the text of the two statements and any back-up documentation necessary. Note that these statements require you to submit specification sheets for all manufactured ingredients to ensure accuracy of allergen information.
Label Compliance Report
- PLC's Label Compliance Report includes two label reviews (preliminary and final) for a single food product (in English). The label reviews include a risk assessment of every mandatory and voluntary element on your label - product name/identity, net contents, nutrition facts panel, ingredient/allergen statements, address line, and all ad copy and claims (nutrient content, health, and other regulated label statements such as organic, natural, etc.) as a part of this report. PLC's Label Compliance Report service covers FDA, USDA Generic and Health Canada labels. Once your label artwork is complete, we will conduct a final label view to ensure compliance. Note that the second review must be performed within one month of the first.
- PLC may require additional information such as cooking losses, protein quality, % juice, etc.